- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ large beetroot, grated
- ¼ red onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- Veg oil for frying
- 60g breadcrumbs
- 1 egg (chia egg for vegan)
- 4 wholemeal buns
- Heat oven to 180°C fan. Sauté the garlic, onion, herbs and spices in the oil until the onion becomes translucent.
- Stir in half of your black beans and sauté for another minute or so.
- Remove from the heat and transfer mixture to a food processor with the beetroot, egg, breadcrumbs. Season to taste.
- Process until mixture is well combined, you want it smooth but still relatively chunky.
- Add in the remaining black beans and process until combined, still leaving it quite chunky so you can partially see the black beans.
- With wet hands, form the mixture into 4 patties, around 2 cm thick.
- Pop onto a tray and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up.
- Bake for 30 minutes, carefully turning over after 15 minutes.
- Once cooked, serve on a wholemeal bun with your favourite toppings.