- 2 large red bell peppers
- 6 large tomatoes
- 2 red onions
- 1 scotch bonnet chili
- Sunflower oil (approx. 5 tbsp)
- 1/2 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp hot curry powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- Salt, to taste
- 3 cups long grain or golden sella basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- Roughly chop the bell peppers, tomatoes, one of the red onions and scotch bonnet chilli. Place on a lined baking tray, drizzle 2 tablespoons of oil and bake in a pre-heated oven for 25 minutes at 250 degrees Celsius. Once roasted, blend the vegetables until well puréed.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large pot and sauté sliced red onion. Add the blended mixture, along with the seasoning (thyme, curry, bay leaves, stock cube, tomato purée and salt). Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and 2 cups of water. Stir well to combine all the ingredients. Cover and cook over low heat for 25-30 minutes until the rice is well cooked. Serve with any sides of your choice, such as fried plantain, salad etc.
Download the PDF version of this recipe here.