- 2 large red skin potatoes
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 2 parsnips, peeled
- 2 red onions
- 1 sweet potato or cylinder part of butternut squash, peeled
- 2 beetroots, peeled
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- Handful of sage and rosemary leaves (remove stalks)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fine polenta
- 1.5 teaspoons flaky sea salt
- 1 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200C/Gas 6.
- Slice the vegetables into even discs using a mandolin or the thinnest setting on a Magimix. If using a mandolin you will be slicing for twenty minutes so meditate!
- Layer the slices into a gratin dish, standing up, packed in together, alternating the colours of vegetables. Get creative – it’s Christmas.
- Push the garlic, sage and rosemary leaves in between the vegetable discs. Drizzle with olive oil, sea salt and polenta.
- Bake for 1 hour until cooked with crispy tops.
Photography by Chelsea Bloxsome and recipe by Nav Juty for Made In Hackney.
Download the PDF version of this recipe here.