- 1 aubergine
- 1 tbsp olive oil or rapeseed oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 70g puy lentils, rinsed
- 30g red lentils, rinsed
- 400g can kidney beans
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 20g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 800ml vegetable stock
- ½ lime, juiced
- If you have a gas hob, put the aubergine directly onto a lit ring to char completely, turning occasionally with kitchen tongs, until burnt all over.
- Set aside to cool on a plate, then peel off the charred skin and remove the stem. Roughly chop the flesh and set aside.
- In a large pan, heat the oil, add the onion and carrots with a pinch of salt, and fry over a low-medium heat for 15-20 mins until the carrots have softened.
- Add the aubergine, both types of lentils, the kidney beans with the liquid from the can, soy sauce, tomatoes, chocolate, chilli powder, oregano and the spices.
- Stir to combine, then pour in the stock. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat to very low. Cover with a lid and cook for 1½ hrs, checking and stirring every 15-20 mins to prevent it from burning.
- Remove the lid and let the mixture simmer over a low-medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 15 mins until you get a thick sauce. Stir in the lime juice and taste for seasoning – add more salt if needed.
Serve hot over rice with whichever accompaniments you want!
Recipe originally published here.