- 100g onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 50g carrots, very finely chopped
- 35g mushrooms, finely chopped
- 50g red lentils
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 25g cooked red kidney beans, mashed
- 35g peanuts, ground
- 25g hazelnuts, ground
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried rosemary
- Generous pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 200g fine oatmeal
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC/gas mark 5.
- Sauté the onion in the oil for 5 minutes, then add the carrot and mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Now add the lentils and three quarters of the stock.
- Blend the mashed red kidney beans in the remaining stock, add these to the pan with the nuts, soy sauce, lemon juice and seasonings. Cook everything, well mixed together, for a further 10 to 15 minutes.
- Then add the oatmeal, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 15 to 20 minutes, adding a little extra liquid if necessary.
- Turn the mixture into 4 lightly oiled pudding tins and bake in the centre of the oven for 20 – 25 mins.
- Serve with mashed neeps (swede) and tatties (potatoes), green veg and onion gravy.
Visit the Vegetarian Society website.