- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tin of beans / pulses / lentils drained
- 1 tin of carrots drained or 1 fresh carrot
- 1 tin of potatoes drained or 1 large / 2 small potatoes chopped into cubes
- 1 tin of peas or handful of frozen peas
- 1 tin of tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon mixed herbs
- 1 stock cube
- 3 mugs of water
- 4 x handfuls dried pasta shapes
- If you can fry the chopped onion in a pan with the oil over low heat for 8 minutes until the onion is soft but not brown this will give the soup more flavour. Then add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker dish.
- Or if you are just using the slow cooker just put everything in at the same time and mix well. Add the pasta if you are using it.
- Turn on the slow cooker for HIGH for 3 hours or LOW for 5 hours.
- If you are using pasta add it half way though (large shapes) or for the last hour (small shapes .
- Enjoy this in a bowl with grated cheese, or croutons or on its own.
More information about the Brighton & Hove Food Partnership and their 'Keen for Beans' campaign can be found here.