For the dal
- 3 tbsp groundnut oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 2 chillies, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 250g red split lentils
- 1000ml vegetable stock
- 1 tsp dried mint
- 2 limes, zest and juice
- lemon, zest and juice
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 clove garlic, finely sliced
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander
- To make the dal, gently heat the oil in a large deep pan, add the onion and slowly fry for 10 minutes. Cooking the onions on a low heat slowly will intensify the flavour and improve the whole dish.
- Add the cumin, salt, turmeric, chillies, garlic cloves and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the lentils, stock and mint. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes, add more stock if required. Stir occasionally.
- Add the majority of the lime and lemon juice, but reserve some to garnish.
- To make the dressing, gently heat the olive oil then add the cumin, the finely sliced garlic and cayenne pepper. Cook for 30 seconds only then remove from the heat.
- To serve, place the dal into a serving dish and spoon swirls of the dressing over the top. Add the lemon and lime zest, the reserved chilli slices, a little fresh coriander and the remaining lime and lemon juice (to taste).
Visit the Vegetarian Society website.